Newer Post Older Post

FAL Finish: Small Rope Basket


finishalong logo 200px

Item fifteen on my Q4 FAL list was a small rope basket to keep my keys in.  This is the first rope basket/bowl I've made and although it's not perfect (and that's one of the appeals of them, I think), I'm quite pleased with how it looks. I used a piece of navy leather to hide the end and it's definitely something I'd do again, probably with a bit more finesse!


It's the perfect size for my keys - small enough to be unobtrusive, but large enough to fit a couple of sets of keys in and not have to fish around.
Aurifil spool for scale

I had enough rope left from the (20m) hank (this one, from Yorkshire Trading) to make a small mat for the porch windowsill - these elephants (made from recycled pop tins) have always lived on it, but their feet leave grey marks on the paint, so it was either make something for them to stand on or paint their feet with varnish (probably the nail rather than wood variety!).  However, someone has spotted its potential as a summer wigwam mat:
We finks this would be most acceptable for lying and sitting on in summer so we will claim it in May.

Thanks for popping in!  I hope your FAL list finishes are going well?

Comments