Newer Post Older Post

Bloggers' Quilt Festival Autumn 2014


Thanks for popping in to see my entry in the Bloggers' Quilt Festival.  I haven't managed many finished quilts since the last festival (no surprise there!) and didn't think I'd be entering this time round, but Nicky reminded me about the mini category and so here I am!
AmysCreativeSide.com


City Walk


I made this little quilt, 'City Walk' (naming quilts isn't something I usually do but I felt that participating in a blog hop and designing a pattern for Oakshott warranted a quilt name!) in July when I was part of an Oakshott blog hop and is designed around the traditional 'walking triangles' block.  I wrote a rather ridiculously long tutorial for it as part of the blog hop and you can find that here, should you wish to make your own version.


The quilt is made from a F8 bundle (plus a piece of wadding and a piece of fusible fleece) and I decided that I wanted to make something useful as well as decorative so this little quilt also doubles as a block roll (to keep pieces in the right place as you're piecing, going back and forth to the ironing board or taking your sewing to a friend's house) and will hang on the wall when not in use.


The quilt top is hand pieced (I draw round freezer paper templates to give me a sewing line, remove the templates, cut them out with an estimated quarter inch seam allowance and then hand piece using a running back stitch along the marked lines) and machine quilted (in the ditch).  It is finished with a traditional knife-edge finish (rather than binding), which gives a nice sharp edge to a quilt.

City Walk


The quilt is 20" square, so just sneaks into the mini category.  It has 224 pieces in the top (each block, consisting of four walking triangles, finishes at 6" square), including the borders and cornerstones and I must admit that I'm quite rather pleased with how it turned out!


As I mentioned, it's also a block roll and here it is keeping some pieces from a current project safe (I have a habit of forgetting which particular square goes where and sewing something different from my plan which usually then needs unpicking):

City Walk - a block roll-cum-little quilt


And here it is rolled up (with the pieces inside but you'll have to trust me on that!) and secured with the tie which is attached to the top edge (you can just see it folded over to the front in the photo above):


City Walk - a block roll-cum-little quilt


City Walk
Quilt stats:

Finished size: 20" x 20"
Pattern: based on a traditional 'Walking Triangles' block
Piecing: by hand, using freezer paper templates and a running back stitch
Piecing thread: Aurifil 50wt 2600 (dove grey)
Quilting: by machine, in the ditch
Quilting thread: Aurifil 50wt 2310 (light beige)


Thank you for taking the time to read this post (or just look at the photos!), I'm off to see what everyone else has been up to!


P.S.  This may be my entry to the festival but it wouldn't be a blog post without some photos of Archie, would it?!!

As regular readers will know, Archie has recently had a flare up of a back injury/arthritis and so is no longer allowed to climb stairs or steps.  As I can't close off my stairs, I've had to get a couple of stair gates fitted (I have a lovely brother!) and if I'm spending time upstairs on an afternoon (either sewing or sleeping) then I carry him up.  He's fine sleeping downstairs overnight but if I go upstairs during the day he starts to fret.  Carrying him up means he's happy (and asleep!) which makes me happy and also means I can concentrate on sewing without having to hang over the banister every few minutes to reassure him I'm still there!  Of course, what goes up must come down...

b--id-like-to-come-downstairs-now_15459200038_o
I'd like to come back downstairs now, if you don't mind.

please-let-me-through_15646170352_o
I know this thing opens but I just don't seem to be able to get it to work

b-------will-i-ever-get-through_15458694529_o
*sigh* Pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeease may I come down?


Comments

  1. awww Archie!!! you are right to take him up I would do the same, love your mini too xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just love the muted colours and peaceful patterning of your mini! Always nice to see Archie too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your mini is gorgeous! I've always had a soft spot for pinwheels, and those colours are so calm and relaxing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love it Helen....great soft color and really like the sharp edge......awwwwwe Archie!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really like this - the colors and the composition. So sharp - no wonder you're pleased with it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love this one - it's a mini work of art.

    ReplyDelete
  7. it's a lovely little quilt, and thank you so much for including the Archie photos - I'm secretly a little bit in love with him :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Pretty, and practical project, and a pooch - a perfect post! (Sorry!!!!)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Bless little Archie. I love all the extra patterns going on in your mini. Also, you've made me realise that I need a block roll!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Good luck in the festival and love to Archie :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Poor Archie, poor You having to carry him up and down the stairs, can't be easy.
    I love that quilt. Best of luck in the festival, it deserves a prize.

    ReplyDelete
  12. It's a beautiful mini Helen! I do hope Archie is slowly improving.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Poor Archie....I had a sweet pup who, in spite of her large size, liked to be picked up and carried. Other than on an off the bed in her later years, it rarely happened. But once she actually faked a foot injury about three blocks from home and wouldn't move. So I picked her up and carried her home, as she looked all proud an happy in my arms and smiled at folks we passed. When I got to our gate I had to put her down (carefully, or course) in order to open the gate for her. The minute the gate was opened, the limp was gone and she scampered into her yard, happy as a clam!! She was such a clown!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Archie sounds like a sweetheart. Love the calming colors and movement in your mini-quilt. Clever to make it an applique-roll too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for your lovely comment! Unfortunately, you're currently a 'no reply' blogger (see here on how to fix it http://www.flusterbuster.com/2013/02/are-you-no-reply-blogger.html) so I can't reply by email. I hope you see this instead!

      Delete
  15. Your block roll is too beautiful to become a sausage. Love the striking design.
    Good luck with the voting!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Adorable little quilt - have never heard of the finish as knife - edge, is this where you fold back all of the binding, If so, I agree it gives a super finish and I wish I had remembered the technique for mine!
    We are both living with stair gates it seems!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. It's a beauty. Love the purpose and simplicity

    Hillary

    ReplyDelete
  18. Well you know I adore this and Archie! Good luck in the festival! And I'm glad to see a Cherry Star border star cut out - it looks adorable too

    ReplyDelete
  19. Wonderful quilts J!! from Lily's quilts

    ReplyDelete
  20. Love your mini . Those neutrals really let the pattern do the talking.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I love the happy feeling of dancing I get from this quilt. And there's like no colour! I feel like I should study it or you, but it might take the magic away. It's beautiful! And it's functional - love that!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I love comments, thank you for yours!!

P.S. I've had to activate comment moderation for older posts so if your comment doesn't appear, it's probably in my inbox awaiting my attention!
P.P.S. If you have a 'no reply' account (no blogger id/a wordpress blog/you aren't sure), please feel free to leave me a separate comment with just your email address in it (myemailaddress(at)wherever.co.uk to save any bots grabbing it), I shall add that to my address book so I can reply via email and then delete that comment. No worries if not, I shall reply within the comments!