Newer Post Older Post

Pretty Little Thing Mini Quilt

In May last year, I took part in a blog hop for Oakshott and made a table runner from their gorgeous Lipari range, which was being relaunched.  Before I launched into making the blocks for the runner, I needed to piece a test block to check the templates worked.  Here it is mid assembly:

Test block progress

I couldn't leave it on its own, so let it choose some potential friends:
The block wants some friends, the block wants some friends...

I decided to stick with the fabrics from Monico Solorio-Snow's Sew Yummy collection for Cloud 9 fabrics, so out went that multi dot and in came some tomato pin cushions.  I made an exception for the bead lines second down as that would make an ideal binding.

I pieced these blocks in fits and starts in between other projects as I found that having made sixteen whole blocks and four half blocks, my enthusiasm was somewhat lacking.  To think that when I made the test block I thought I might up the size a bit and make a big quilt!  I think not!

At some point I had three blocks:
And then there were three!

Then I had all the whole and half blocks I needed and laid them out.  This took longer than you'd think as I couldn't remember how they went together and where the half blocks were going, so I took the photo for reference, in case I forgot again!  And also because sometimes you spot changes you want to make when viewing a project on a small screen rather than in real life.  (This is how it looked at the start of the quarter.)
You know you're tired when it takes you a very long and puzzling twenty minutes to work out how to lay out the blocks so they fit together! Might swap the zips block and the scissors block... #handpiecing #prettylittlethingblock

I started joining the orange peel segments to the blocks and, as you can see, I don't tend to pin the whole of a curved seam, I do it section by section:
I'm joining @charmaboutyou for the #Saturdaynightcraftalong and doing a bit of #handpiecing to warm up my hands before starting some #handquilting. This is the mini quilt I'm making from the test for my #prettylittlethingblock and some friends I made for

Then the sections started to come together.  I took this photo as part of a photo hop on instagram when the prompt of the day was favourite technique:
#sewphotohop Favourite technique I love all kinds of hand sewing, particularly hand piecing. I love the way it enables me to easily and accurately sew pieces together which would be tricky on a machine and I love the slower process and the connection it g

By mid January, I had a finished top:
For the past couple of evenings, I've abandoned hand quilting in favour of hand piecing the #prettylittlethingblock test block mini and it's now ready for layering and quilting. I'm slowly plodding my way through my #2017FAL #ridiculouslylongFALlist and h

An hour or so at the sewing machine saw it quilted, and then it was trimmed and had the binding stitched to the front, ready for sewing down while I watched telly.  And then it was finished!  (And less than a year after I started it!!)
Finished! This was a test block for my #prettylittlethingblock #oakshottliparis project and as I didn't know what to do with one round block (7" diameter), I decided to make it some friends and turn it into a mini quilt for my sewing room wall. I used a b

As you can see, I kept the quilting simple and just went straight through each orange peel segment in white 50wt thread.  It's now pinned to my sewing room wall (you can just see the clear push pins in each corner) and I'm really rather pleased with it!

Quilt stats

Block: Pretty Little Thing block (found in 5500 Quilt Block Designs by Maggie Malone (ISBN 4972507749), where it's called 'A Pretty Patchwork')
Fabric: bright pink Oakshott background, Sew Yummy fabrics for the rest of the block pieces, something stripy for the binding
Piecing: hand, using Aurifil 50wt 2600 (dove grey)
Quilting: machine, using white 50wt (either Gutermann cotton or Aurifil, I can't remember)
Wadding: Vilene H640 (fusible fleece)
Size:13" x 18.5"


As it's the end of the first quarter, it's time to link up to the Finish-Along.  My Q1 FAL list can be found here and this post is about item fifteen.
Just Jude Designs

Archie's ideal way to spend a chilly day:
post unexpected dinner snooze
Do not disturb

Thanks for popping in!

Comments

  1. Very nice runner. You are burning up blog land with all your finishes. Great job and good luck in the drawing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember you working on this and it definitely doesn't feel that long ago!! It's beautiful and I'm glad you are able to see it while you sew. Another great finish! You're doing well this quarter. On behalf of the 2017 global FAL hosts, thank you for participating in this quarter's FAL.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is amazing! I am always stunned seeing you handsewing such beauties. I would love to have that much patience.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aww thats too cute! Waves to Archie xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. I would be rather pleased with this, too. Gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'm afraid I can't find an email address to reply to you so I hope you see this!

      Delete
  6. Wow, wow, wow! I just love this quilt. It is a stunner! It is a good thing it is small because I would have likely tried to make it into a queen and would never have finished it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love this mini.
    You have done so well with getting things done this quarter. A girl on a mission!
    Archie's mission is to do as little as possible, I believe!

    ReplyDelete
  8. So beautiful. Sending a kiss for Archie xxx

    ReplyDelete
  9. I pin curves the same way, too. :) I love how this runner and the Lipari one both feel/look so different, though it's the same design. The stars in this are such fun! *tiptoes away so as not to disturb Archie*

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I love comments, thank you for yours!!

P.S. I've had to activate comment moderation for older posts so if your comment doesn't appear, it's probably in my inbox awaiting my attention!
P.P.S. If you have a 'no reply' account (no blogger id/a wordpress blog/you aren't sure), please feel free to leave me a separate comment with just your email address in it (myemailaddress(at)wherever.co.uk to save any bots grabbing it), I shall add that to my address book so I can reply via email and then delete that comment. No worries if not, I shall reply within the comments!