Newer Post Older Post

Another Finish (And It’s Still Not A Sock)!

Back in 2011 when I changed my scrap storage from the ‘stuffed in freezer bags according to colour’ method to something a little better, I used sections from Dulux colour cards as the labels. Then, as the fabric collection expanded and I needed a second box for many colours, I went back but the cards had changed and the shades weren’t available so I ended up with Valspar cards instead which weren’t as good (thinner and smaller). This is what they looked like, you can see how poor the fit is of the newer cards:
Where there are two boxes of each colour, the black boxes
 contain FQs and the white boxes scraps

Over the years, I’ve vowed to change them as the smaller cards kept falling out and being wonky, etc. but it never rose to the top of the list:
I think you can see why I found them annoying!

The plan had been to sew tiny scraps on the labels which came with the boxes (and which have been kept safe all these years) but that’s had to be adapted for something I can do mainly while sitting in the settee and without a sewing machine.  No photos of the process, I’m afraid, as I did it all after dark (can you tell I’ve been on steroids for a chest infection and so haven’t slept?!), but I chose a scrap for each box (and decided on a different scrap for each box for those colours where there’s a black box and a white box), glued it to the label using Pritt stick, trimmed them using a small rotary cutter and ruler (on my lap, with a hardback book under the mat), checked the corners and edges were sufficiently glued down (many weren’t) and then swapped the old labels for the new ones. 

I had this Liberty label which was on a present from a friend and it had just been tucked in the label holder up until now.  It turns out that if you cut off the hole the ribbon is threaded through, the label fits perfectly. Very pleasing. 

And here’s how the boxes look now:




Of course, there had to be some fussy cutting:

This arrangement of penguin above the fish he’s looking for tickles me:
Here’s the same photo as at the beginning but with the new labels:

Much smarter!
That’s another thing crossed off my Fettling List and another Fettling Point added to the total.

Mini Archie had to pose:

I-sized boxes!

Comments

  1. This is fabulous!!!! Love it and adore the 🐼🐼

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fantastic storage! Everything looks really neat now :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I love comments, thank you for yours!!

P.S. I've had to activate comment moderation for older posts so if your comment doesn't appear, it's probably in my inbox awaiting my attention!
P.P.S. If you have a 'no reply' account (no blogger id/a wordpress blog/you aren't sure), please feel free to leave me a separate comment with just your email address in it (myemailaddress(at)wherever.co.uk to save any bots grabbing it), I shall add that to my address book so I can reply via email and then delete that comment. No worries if not, I shall reply within the comments!