Sunday, 13 November 2016
Kate Dress - The Pinafore Version
Earlier in the year, I bought some lovely navy floral needlecord from a local fabric shop for about £6 a metre and from the outset it was destined to be a pinafore. At that point, I hadn't even finished the toile of the Kate dress (pattern by Sew Me Something) but I already knew that it was going to be a pattern that I would make and make again, with variations to make different dresses but with the same basic pattern.
Once I'd made my toile (see it here) and established the changes I needed to make to the basic pattern to get the fit right, I traced it again (I'm a big fan of keeping the original pattern intact and tracing onto tissue paper - it's a bit of a faff, but I find it works for me) and altered it so that it became a pinafore. Essentially, I lengthened the arm hole so that it came quite a bit lower, narrowed the shoulder a little at both the outside and inside edges, and created a softly curved v neck instead of the round neck. I also drafted the facings.
This is the first time I've made a sleeveless dress, but my good friend B steered me in the right direction and I'm pleased to say it's finished! I've shown lots of progress photos along the way, but bear with me while I put them here, for future reference!
At the start of this quarter, when I added it to my Q4 FAL list (item 28), it looked like this:
I made the pockets, but rather than having gathers across like the toile version, I put an inverted pleat in instead:
I stitched the side seams on both the dress and the facing, and then attached the facing to the dress:
I then clipped the curves, graded the facing seams, pressed them and understitched, before joining the outside shoulder seams by machine and the inside ones by hand.
Then there was just the hem to do:
Once I'd established that it was hanging level (and therefore didn't need someone else to pin it for me), I turned up and pressed a 3/8" seam before turning up another 5/8" (so 1" in total) and stitched from the inside using the edge foot to keep me straight.
And here's how it looks on (I'm not good at selfies, as you can see!):
The only thing I need to do is get a longer petticoat, as there's about a 5" gap between the hem of those I have and the hem of the pinafore and it means the cord likes to walk up my (woolly) tights, which is a bit irritating.
I have some more needlecord to make another one, I just need to decide whether to keep the neckline the same or go for a rounder shape. Decisions, decisions!
I'll be linking up with the Finish-Along when the time comes:
After making him pose for a photo in the lashing rain last week, I was surprised when Archie agreed to another outdoor photo shoot:
Thanks for popping in! I know I've been appalling at replying to comments, I promise to try harder!