Newer Post Older Post

And that was November...


Lily's Quilts





November has been a month of hexies and Stained QAL blocks...

All but one of my November hexies - there wasn't room for the other one!


Progress on the Stained QAL blocks

I've now got four hexies left to piece (and another four that are pieced but haven't been shared) and then I'll have 195 hexies, seventeen of which are 'whole' (i.e. unpieced) and the remaining 178 are pieced.


All my Stained QAL blocks are now in rows and all the vertical joins on the back have been stitched down and Nicky has promised that if I ever plan to use Klona on something that's going to need hand stitching then she's going to shoot me!  Stitching a folded Klona edge to a quilted Klona piece is not something I intend to ever do again once this quilt is finished - it took probably three times as long as it would have done with other quilting cotton and I needed a thimble at all times as I couldn't push the needle through with my finger -  it went through my finger rather than through the fabric!  Having said that, the rows look really good (no photo as it's dark out...maybe next time!) and I'm really pleased with how it's looking.  (My sanity has been saved by the occasional block where I was stitching Klona to one of the prints - they went twice as fast as the others but I still needed a thimble!)






I've also (finally) kept my promise and have sorted out a tutorial for the Suffolk puff Christmas trees I made last year.  My friend very kindly gave me permission to use her templates and instructions to make a mini tutorial instruction sheet.  I've created a Google document with the instructions and the templates (it took far longer than anticipated to get the templates to print out at the right size!) and you'll find it here (I hope!).  I haven't taken any photos of the steps as, to be honest, it's really very simple and I didn't feel there was a need.  If you get stuck on any steps (or find any mistakes!) then please shout and I'll do my best to help!


Archie is much perkier than he was last week and is thoroughly enjoying his walks!  He's down to one Tramadol a day (in the morning) and is being allowed off the lead for a little bit further every day, much to his delight!  To celebrate feeling brighter he was allowed a chewstick.  You I don't want to think about what they're made from but he loves them!




I hope that next time I post it'll either be about the final hexies or a grand reveal of the Stained quilt but don't hold me to that!

I've linked up to Lynne@Lily's Quilts for Fresh Sewing Day, why not pop over and see what everyone else has been up to?


Comments

  1. so when you do your quilt as you go you hand stitch your sashing pieces down by hand on the back? it looks lovely and I love your fussy cut hexies

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your hexies, they are so pretty and as for your stained quilt I absolutely love it!! If you want to send it to me that would be lovely and if not send Archie instead... :-) Big Hugs xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really like your hexie blocks and the stained glass quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh wow, you have done so much work on your hexies, you have a lot of patience. Can't wait to see the final reveal

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really love the texture of the quilting on your stained quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  6. My finger feels for you. I have been doing so much hand stitching this week my finger is pierced too. It hurts! But your projects are looking fantastic if that is any consolation.

    ReplyDelete
  7. wow that's a lot of hexies ... like a little army ready to fight off the cold!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh no! Hand sewing klona is painful, I tried hand quilting it once... It is brilliant for machine sewing tho. Stained is looking wonderful, but the hexies are just freakin awesome!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your hexies look like snow flakes! Love them.

    ReplyDelete
  10. A very good looking month.
    Good to know about the klona. I got some moda bella solids this week and they look like being perfect for hand sewing.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm so loving your pieced hexies...the feature one in your collage I think is my absolute fav so far...but they are all gorgeous...

    ReplyDelete
  12. OMG do you have to hand sew the bits together with the QAYG thingy. I just don't think I could do this. Fab makes though - love seeing the latest hexies.

    ReplyDelete
  13. blimey, that's a LOT of hexies! They are amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  14. The hexies are a work of art. Di x

    ReplyDelete
  15. Go you -if you have the hexies and Stained done by the end of the year it will be brilliant!
    Klona trials - you must persevere!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Those stained blocks are looking amazing! As are the hexies! We stopped buying Poppy those horrid chew sticks when we kept discovering them buried in the garden or down the sides of her chair, unchewed!! Fussy dog! Jxo

    ReplyDelete
  17. You have been a very very good girl! Santa is watching! :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Both these projects are so lovely, you will have finishes soon. Archie is looking so cute these days.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Yeah keep going - you are doing so fabulously well! The results will be awesome!

    I know I promised but I couldn't really! So stay away from the Klona!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love your hexies. The way you got the stripes to work out is so impressive!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Crikey, you've been busy, well done!

    Fiona

    ReplyDelete
  22. Great work! Love both the hexagons and stained glass. Looking forward to seeing your finished hexagon project . Also love your little trees :-). Bunnyhugs to Archie x

    ReplyDelete
  23. Awesome... How did you piece together the bottom right Hexie?

    Had a look at some of your previous posts, and love your pics of Archie!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Those hexes are stunning!
    I can't wait to see the Stained quilt, it is looking wonderful! But ouch to the hand sewing!!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Taken note of Kona and handstitching! Hexagons are fabulous,bit like sugared almonds.Hurry up and show us the whole thing...Please!. Delighted to read Archie is on the mend,long may it continue. He has had a rough year.x

    ReplyDelete
  26. Wow you've made lots of progress on those stained blocks, looking good.

    ReplyDelete
  27. I love seeing your hexies...they are so beautiful and seeing your progress on your stained glass. And very pleased to see and hear that Archie is feeling better.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Love those hexies and your stained quilt is looking fab, I love the quilting. Archie is, as always, looking gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  29. What a lovely smorgasbord of photos! And the Stained Glass is looking so smart. Lots of hard work there. I am not enjoying "needle turning" Kona...I guess I will swear *&#!#* even more when I go to quilt it. Thanks for the thumbs up.
    Is Archie allowed to eat in bed?

    ReplyDelete
  30. I adore your hexies!! Glad Archie is doing well and hope you are too :)

    ReplyDelete
  31. Your hexies are looking lovely and I've just visited your tree tute - I love it. I'd never have guessed they'd be so simple. Definitely on my to do list now :)

    ReplyDelete
  32. I like those trees Helen.....are you ready for the big day?
    Thank you very much for the last FMQ sample.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I love comments, thank you for yours!!

P.S. I've had to activate comment moderation for older posts so if your comment doesn't appear, it's probably in my inbox awaiting my attention!
P.P.S. If you have a 'no reply' account (no blogger id/a wordpress blog/you aren't sure), please feel free to leave me a separate comment with just your email address in it (myemailaddress(at)wherever.co.uk to save any bots grabbing it), I shall add that to my address book so I can reply via email and then delete that comment. No worries if not, I shall reply within the comments!