A couple of months ago, I read Rachel's post about her new pattern, The Everyday Blouse, and I was lucky enough to win a copy of her pattern (and a surprise £30 voucher for Abakhan Fabrics to buy supplies) in return for a couple of photos of my finished make and an honest review. You can buy the (PDF) pattern from UpCraft Club.
I chose this navy and white poplin from their autumn/winter 2016 section (choosing from this section was required by Abakhan) and, although it's the first time I've bought dressmaking fabric online, I'm very pleased with my choice.
I printed out my pattern, which wasn't without its difficulties - first I printed it portrait when it should have been landscape (I caught it after a few pages and then just printed the right way on the back of them) and then taped it together. Again, this wasn't without its difficulties as I couldn't get the lines to match up, and if I taped them how I thought they should be taped, then the lines didn't meet. After a few (okay, about a dozen!) Twitter messages with Beth, it became clear that the problem was my printer - like many domestic printers, it doesn't print right to the edge of the page and my first instinct (to leave a 1/8" gap between the lines so that the curves looked right) was right. Now I know that about my printer, I'll be more confident when taping together pdf patterns and won't need to bother Beth!
|If you look closely, you can see the gap in the grainline where the two pages meet|
I set to cutting out the pattern and the fabric (I decided that because I was reviewing the pattern, I'd make it as the pattern, with no alterations and view it as a wearable toile) and started assembling it. I did, if I say so myself, some nicely neat understitching on the neck facing:
And stitched my first exposed zip:
It wasn't long before my blouse was finished:
I'm very pleased with how it fits for a first attempt. Having worn it a couple of times, I've made a note of alterations I need to make to get it to fit better and have lowered the bust dart, raised the elbow dart and removed the underarm facings on this version. I've made alterations to the pattern (adding length, etc.), and already have the fabric for my next one. (Yes, it'll be on my Q4 FAL list!)
Here's my (poor) attempt to show you the elastic detail at the neck - it's subtle, but it makes a big difference to how it fits, as well as making it easier to get on and off!!
And here's an odd photo of (some of) me wearing it:
All in all, I think it fits okay for a first try (at least as well as a shop bought blouse) and is perfectly wearable - it's already had quite a few compliments and the elastic detail at the neck is something many people have admired.
Thank you, Rachel, for the opportunity - this pattern is going to become a wardrobe staple! Now, if I could just find a cami top to wear under it in the winter, I'll be set...
Archie is still insisting on a warm breakfast served in the conservatory (and this morning ate half of it, realised his treat from Sheila wasn't on it, and refused to eat the rest until it was added), and I thought he might like his breakfast outside on Sunday. He didn't:
Thanks for popping in!!
P.S. You can read the reviews about the blouse here, and find it on instagram with the tag #everydayblousepattern