Newer Post Older Post

(Final) FAL Finish: Fairy Quilt


Yes, I did it!  I've finished my niece's quilt in time for her birthday!  In fact, I've finished it about a fortnight to go so have plenty of time to keep it in the airing cupboard to ensure it's completely dry after being washed and (mostly) tumble dried.

I started this quilt in April and wasn't at all sure I'd get it finished in time (there's nothing like deciding to make a quilt for a present when the birthday is fast approaching, is there?!) but thanks to some canny block designing which made the (machine) piecing as quick and simple as possible, as well as putting just about everything else aside, I'd finished piecing the top by the middle of May:

Fairy quilt top
As you can see, it's quite a large quilt for a soon-to-be four-year-old (this is a double bed  and hers is a single) but her mam likes quilts which go over the top of the pillows and can be tucked under them, like a bed spread.  It'll make a great quilt fort, I'm sure!

The quilting wasn't without its minor dramas as I had to rip out nearly 1100" of (machine) quilting as I didn't like what I'd done (the wonky lines weren't wonky enough and just looked sloppy) but once I started on the straight lines, it went relatively quickly and all the lines were done by the middle of June:

Quilted!

I had a break from it for a couple of weeks while I recovered from the quilting (I have M.E., which means that any form of activity results in some sort of 'payback'; the bigger the activity, the higher the payback and the more time I spend in bed as a result.  Truth be told, I'm still recovering from the quilting, almost a month later.) and then trimmed the quilt and bound it in the same yellow as the sashing strips.  Here it is before washing:

Fairy quilt: finished!

Fairy quilt: finished!

And the (slightly skewwhiff) back, which is made of leftovers from the front (the white fairy print was going to become a pillowcase but I needed it for the back!) and 3m of a pale pink on white polka dot which was in my backing stash:

Fairy quilt - the back

Fairy quilt - the back
I love the texture of those straight lines!

And, just in case you haven't seen enough photos of it, here it is enjoying the sun, alongside a certain someone who resolutely refused to turn his face to the camera:

fairy-quilt-finished_19226376778_o

fairy-quilt---the-back_19407667382_o
If you look very (very!) closely, you can just see the outline of the label in the bottom left-hand corner.

And the corners - you can just make out the dotty backing fabric:

Fairy quilt corners

I washed and dried it (in my mam's machines - thanks, Mam!) yesterday and it's now in the airing cupboard.  I took a photo of it before putting it in, though, and I think it's crinkled nicely:

Fairy quilt

All in all, I'm pleased with this quilt and can definitely see me making another one in this style (this is my second one but they've both been designed 'from scratch' using Sarah's marvellous design as a guide).  In fact, I've had one planned for about a year and making this quilt has made me shove it up the to do list!


Quilt stats: (this is mainly for my benefit so I can refer back to it if needed!)

Size before quilting and washing:
62.5" x 109"
Size after washing: 61.5" x 108" (it hasn't shrunk much, has it?!)
Fabric: two panels of Butterfly Dance in pink and the main butterfly dance print in both pink and white (all by Cinderberry Stitches) and various pinks and whites from my stash and scrap boxes
Pattern: based on the Stained Quilt by Sarah
Block size: 15" x 15"
Sashing: 0.5" (in Kona Daffodil)
Wadding: Warm and white
Backing: leftovers plus three metres of pale pink on white dot (Makower, I think)
Binding: Kona Daffodil
Piecing thread: Aurifil 50 wt 2021
Piecing setting: stitch length 2, top and bottom tension 'normal'
Quilting thread: King Tut 'Angel Pink'
Quilting setting: stitch length 3, top tension 5.5, bottom tension loosened so the screw says twenty five past eleven
Quilting design: Straight lines 1" apart, plus in the ditch either side of the main sashing strips

This is my final finish for this quarter of the Finish Along and I'm linking up with Adrianne:

2015 FAL at On the Windy Side

Archie continues to enjoy the sun:
b--enjoying-the-sun_19227734719_o
No, I'm not going to pose for a photo, this is as good as you're getting.

Thanks for popping in!


Comments

  1. Amazing quilt for a little girl! I love it. And Archie makes me smile everytime I see a picture of him. Such a handsome boy. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Helen its an absolute beauty! I know exactly where you are with the payback. Man has gone to sea and I'm on 2 hours awake between naps... it gets better eventually, doesn't it... ;-) Lucky lucky niece, I just love it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fabulous result - you must be so pleased with it! I am sure the birthday girl will absolutely love it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's a fantastic finish Helen! I hope your pleased with it, and the little miss loves it too! Now get yourself some rest! Goodness you've earned it! Xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. it's fab! Well done for getting it finished in time :-D

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh wow! Look at your go!! You've inspired me to get out of my cross-hatch quilting rut and give straight lines a go - I love the texture it's given the quilt ... and my goodness, even Archie's protest face is cute!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovely result: it reminds me of strawberry shortcake! Lucky niece!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lovely to see it completely finished!
    Well done you - I'm sure that your neice is going to LOVE it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is gorgeous. So pretty

    ReplyDelete
  10. Vof Archie! I'm happy to see you enjoy the sun! Tell your mom that this quilt is really beautiful! We are still lucky not to have very hot weather. It's warm enough but at night so nice cool. I sleep at night on the balcony under the stars! x Nero

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a beautiful quilt. I love the strips of god in it - they really set off the other fabrics.

    ReplyDelete
  12. It's a beautiful quilt for a lucky girl but what I need to know is, what is an airing cupboard?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!

      I'm afraid I can't reply to your comment via email as you're a no reply blogger. An airing cupboard is the cupboard where the hot water tank is (or has hot water pipes running through it), where clothes and bedding is hung to air off or dry. It often (as it does in my house) doubles as the linen cupboard. Hope that solves the puzzle!

      Delete
  13. That's a real beauty! You've done a magnificent job on it :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh it turned out so beautifully. The binding just ties it all in - so nice. LOVE your dog - I feel like him sometimes lol

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is a beautiful quilt, you should be very proud. It will be loved for many, many years.

    ReplyDelete
  16. This is beautiful - a wonderful birthday present :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. A very lucky wee girl to be getting such a beautiful "big girl" quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Lucky niece! I love the way it will suit her for many years to come :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. A gorgeous finish . I usually stick with the wobbly straight quilting and just do more of it .
    But then I know no shame

    ReplyDelete
  20. This is absolutely gorgeous, lucky niece! Hope you've recovered by now x

    ReplyDelete
  21. I know all about "payback". You do inspire me Helen.
    Yellow and Pink are a favourite combination of mine . .Such sunny and smiley colours, and the fabrics will surely make this little niece have happy dreams.
    The quilting and neat corners are a maestro finish. No wonder you needed a lie down!
    And I also know about recalcitrant pets who wont smile on cue . . really Archie .. didn't you know Sal would be wanting a full-frontal!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I love comments, thank you for yours!!

P.S. I've had to activate comment moderation for older posts so if your comment doesn't appear, it's probably in my inbox awaiting my attention!
P.P.S. If you have a 'no reply' account (no blogger id/a wordpress blog/you aren't sure), please feel free to leave me a separate comment with just your email address in it (myemailaddress(at)wherever.co.uk to save any bots grabbing it), I shall add that to my address book so I can reply via email and then delete that comment. No worries if not, I shall reply within the comments!