Newer Post Older Post

Wednesday catch up...

I'd love to be able to tell you that I've been hard at work since I last blogged but I haven't!  I have made some progress though...


Firstly, though, I want to apologise for all the photos - it's not going to get light today (it's tanking down) so they're not the brightest photos in the world!

I've quilted sixteen of the Stained QAL blocks.  I went with the wavy lines in the end and I'm really pleased with the texture of the blocks.  The heavy quilting (perhaps combined with a double layer of wadding) has pulled the blocks in so they're going to be 11.5" finished rather than the planned 12" but that's not a problem, it ends up measuring what it ends up measuring.

Four blocks from the front:
 

and the back:


I'm trying to do a couple of blocks a day.  Sometimes I manage more, more often I manage none but I've only got eight left to quilt so I hope to be trimming them next week.


The main thing I've been working on is my hexagon quilt.  I finally sat down and worked out how many partial and half hexagons I would need to complete the quilt and in doing so discovered that I preferred the first and final rows to start with a half hexagon (otherwise known as a trapezium!) so I need fewer hexagons than I thought.  I was working towards 202 and now I only need 195 and I'm almost there!  I've got nine left to piece and they're in my tin, waiting patiently for their turn.

In the past few weeks I've pieced (but not pressed!) these hexies:

I love these star in a star hexagons.

The six triangles in the centre took almost two hours to piece as the stripes weren't behaving

I think this style of hexy is my favourite and I may need a whole quilt of them...

This is much more interesting in real life - the colours are washed out here!

The stripes were a s*d to match (it's that fabric!) but it was worth it!

Nice and simple.

Another star in a star - I love that grey triangle fabric!

Another simple one - if they were all fancy they'd end up fighting for attention!

Very simple and in need of a press!

I hadn't realised how much I'd missed hand piecing over the last couple of months until I sat down and started again.  It's taken a long time for me to feel up to preparing any of the hexagons but I'm so glad I'm now able to get back to them.  I've cut out all the whole (i.e. unpieced) hexagons that I need to scatter round the centre of the quilt top (seventeen in all) and once I've pieced the remaining hexies I'm going to sort out the pieces that will square up the edges.  I'm hoping I've used enough different prints in the pieced hexagons to be able to have one of every print as either a whole, half or partial hexagon (a triangle!) and no repeats.  I'm not sure that makes sense!  What I mean is that I don't want any two hexagons (whole, pieced or otherwise) to be the same.  Fingers crossed I manage it!


That's it from me...I need to keep an eye on Archie as he's a little under the weather and I'm thinking of taking him to the vet.  Nothing specific, he just seems subdued and since the liver problem was discovered the vet said it's better to take him sooner rather than later if I'm worried.  And now I know about the liver problem I tend to worry more when he's not well.  Yesterday he wasn't really bothered about going for a w-a-l-k (very unusual) and although he was more interested this morning he wasn't his usual bouncy self.  His appetite is still intact though!  Last night I made him scrambled eggs (in case his tummy was feeling delicate) and he wolfed those down and then laid at the back door asking for 'proper' food!  I think I'll take him round the block and see how he is.  If he's still not himself I'm phoning the vet...

Here's a photo of the man dog himself, feeling a little sorry for himself.  Although I'd also just woken him up so that won't have helped!   
(Yes, it's a funny angle but there wasn't room to get in front of him!  I had to stand behind him, hold the camera in front of his face and hope for the best!)

Do you mind?  I was asleep!

I'm linking up with WIP Wednesday with Lee@Freshly Pieced (something I don't manage all that often but then I don't manage blogging very often so that shouldn't come as a surprise!) - why not pop over and see what other people are up to?  Or link up yourself?

I hope you're having a lovely week and that your stitching is going well!

P.S.  I've been lucky enough to receive some lovely post in the last couple of weeks - I'll show you next time!


Comments

  1. Those hexagons are gorgeous Helen. Hope Archie recovers soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. love the hexies!! you put a lot of work into them and they are beautiful! Hope Archie is well

    ReplyDelete
  3. I enjoy seeing not only your blocks but the different fabrics you use. It's amazing to me that you can make every hexagon different. Hugs to Archie and to you, too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love that stripy hexie!! Well done on that - I would have given up!
    Hope Archie is feeling more perky soon, but to be honest, I wouldn't want to be going out for a walk in this weather (shame I have pick the kids up really!) x

    ReplyDelete
  5. fantastic hexagons - they are amazing!! I hope that sweet Archie is ok xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. How can you claim you don't do much when you show us all this!? Your hexy quilt is going to be fab and I hope you enjoy it as much on your bed as in the making! Only you would persevere with those stripes Helen - everyone else would have given up! Bravo miss picky it really makes a difference!

    Poor Archie - hope he perks up soon - sending a sniff and lick from Maddie! Wuff!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hurray! I am getting your posts again. I absolutely love your hexies, I really must start doing some I think it's the preparation that puts me off, having to cut out the templates and then the fabric, I want to get to the sewing bit!! Oh poor Archie, please let me know how he is. Big Hugs xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, those hexagons are fantastic! I can't wait to see what the quilt looks like. I am in love with all the ones with stripes!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Poor Archie - hope he's more himself soon and doesn't need a trip to the vet ! I have been naughty this week and given into temptation- started a new quilt - inspired by many people - including you !! I have drawn up some hexies on graph paper and have made 4 different ones. As I already have 3 or 4 paper piecing quilts in progress I decided to just do ordinary hand piecing and am so enjoying it. Will try and show them soon xxx

    ReplyDelete
  10. I hope archie's ok! That striped star block is just fantastic. You did such a great job matching the stripes and it really pops!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Those hexagons are a lot of work. They look great!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Give Archie a hug from me and tell him I hope he is back to his usual cheeky self as soon as possible. The hexies look fabulous and this quilt is going to be a stunner!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Cuddles to Archie, eggs are Lotties absolute favourite too! Hope he is ok x

    ReplyDelete
  14. To me, Archie is saying, "I hope you woke me up for a good reason, like a walk, or biscuits!" He's adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  15. The quilting on your Stained QAL blocks looks wonderful!
    Love your hexagons, they are so pretty. Hope Archie is feeling better!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I like the haxagongs, the snowflake one is great

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hugs to Archie and so glad you went with the organic wavy - looking good!

    ReplyDelete
  18. The hexies are looking great.how good it must be to be so close to being ready to sew them together

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oh wow, I love your hexies, they are so intricate and very very neat! I hope Archie is ok and that its just the weather that's getting him down

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love all the little hexies, but those stripes are AWESOME. Worth every s*dding minute :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Oooooh, the quilting looks great! Love the hexies too :D

    ReplyDelete
  22. Give Archie a pat from me. Those hexies are beautiful. Di x

    ReplyDelete
  23. Aw poor Archie! I hope he feels better soon.I had to take Poppy to the vet last week. She'd been sick 3 times and went right off her food for several days, v.lethargic. He coulnd't find anything obvious and by the end of the week she was right as rain again. Your hexies are magnificent! It's going to be one stunner of a quilt! Jxo

    ReplyDelete
  24. oooh, poor Archie. Sending him a long distance hug.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Those amazing hexies are giving both your right and left brain a massive workout and WOW! ....so pretty and Impressive (with capital letters!) So soft and subtle and such perfect piecing. And the wavy quilting is perfect. You left the best photo till last! Those whiskers need a tickle!

    ReplyDelete
  26. I'm in awe of those stripes in the hexagons...lovely work and lovely colours.

    PS Give Atchie a very gentle tickle from me.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Oh hope that Archie has perked up by the time you read this.
    The hexies are beautiful as always, exciting time ahead waiting to put them all together.
    And I love the quilting on your blocks, I am into heavy quilting at the moment and the soft curves look really good, you have made great progress with these.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Get well soon,Archie! Let's hope it is just the miserable weather....! I can't wait to see the hexie quilt completed.The colours are so pretty.A real inspiration! I love the wavy line quilting too.I am scared stiff of free motion so that is an option to file for later.Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Yay for stains and hexies! Hope his lordship is feeling better today

    ReplyDelete
  30. The quilting on the stains is fabulous, as are the hexies. Hope Archie is ok x

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I love comments, thank you for yours!!

P.S. I've had to activate comment moderation for older posts so if your comment doesn't appear, it's probably in my inbox awaiting my attention!
P.P.S. If you have a 'no reply' account (no blogger id/a wordpress blog/you aren't sure), please feel free to leave me a separate comment with just your email address in it (myemailaddress(at)wherever.co.uk to save any bots grabbing it), I shall add that to my address book so I can reply via email and then delete that comment. No worries if not, I shall reply within the comments!